Players, playwrights, playhouses : investigating performance, 1660-1800.
Contributor(s): Holland, Peter | Cordner, Michael.Material type: BookSeries: v. 4; Redefining British theatre history.Publisher: Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2007Description: xiii, 300p. : ill. ; 25 cm. (hbk).ISBN: 9780230525245.Subject(s): Performing Arts | English drama-18th century-History and criticism | English drama-17th century-History and criticism | Theatre-Great Britain-History-18th century | Theatre-Great Britain-History-17th centuryDDC classification: 792.0942COR
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|Standard Loan Book||AUB Library Library||Book||792.0942 COR (Browse shelf)||Available||D02505|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
This book brings together theatre historians to identify and exemplify a variety of productive new approaches to the investigation of plays, players, playwrights, playhouses and other aspects of theatre in the long eighteenth century. Their inquiries range from stage censorship and anti-theatricalism to the political resonances of adultery comedy.
Published in association with the Huntington Library.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- List of Figures (p. vii)
- List of Tables (p. viii)
- Notes on the Contributors (p. ix)
- Series Introduction: Redefining British Theatre History (p. xi)
- Introduction: Expanding Horizons (p. 1)
- Part 1 Drama, Theatre, and History
- 1 Theatre History, 1660-1800: Aims, Materials, Methodology (p. 9)
- 2 Sleeping with the Enemy: Aphra Behn's The Roundheads and the Political Comedy of Adultery (p. 45)
- 3 Shadowing Theatrical Change (p. 78)
- 4 Reading Theatre History from Account Books (p. 101)
- Part 2 Controlling the Theatre
- 5 Jeremy Collier and the Politics of Theatrical Representation (p. 135)
- 6 Reconsidering Theatrical Regulation in the Long Eighteenth Century (p. 152)
- Part 3 Theatre beyond London
- 7 Theatre for Nothing (p. 175)
- 8 Mixed Marriage: Sheridan, Macklin, and the Hybrid Audience (p. 189)
- 9 Country Matters: Irish 'Waggery' and the Irish and British Theatrical Traditions (p. 213)
- Part 4 Representations
- 10 Universality, Early Modernity, and the Contingencies of Representing Race (p. 231)
- 11 Hearing the Dead: the Sound of David Garrick (p. 248)
- 12 The Visuality of the Theatre (p. 271)
- Index (p. 294)