The potentials of spaces : the theory and practice of scenography & performance.
By: Oddey, Alison.
Contributor(s): White, Christine A.Material type: BookPublisher: Bristol : Intellect, 2006Description: 188 p. : ill. ; 23 cm. (pbk).ISBN: 9781841501376.Subject(s): Performing Arts | Theatre - Production and direction | Set design | Theater architecture | Theaters-Stage-setting and sceneryDDC classification: 792.025ODD
|Item type||Current location||Collection||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode||Item holds|
|Standard Loan Book||AUB Library Library||Book||792.025 ODD (Browse shelf)||Available||A04871|
Enhanced descriptions from Syndetics:
The Potentials of Spaces interrogates the relationship between scenography and performance in contemporary dramatic activities. The book provides an illuminating platform for discussion concerning the interrelations between theatrical movement and gesture in physical space. In exploring territories of performance, the author equally combines theoretical research with details of dramatic methods and performances, thus providing a valuable insight into working practices. Avant-garde and experimental approaches towards sensory, spatial and visual aspects of the stage are described and explored.<br> <br> Through a discussion regarding the performance possibilities viable through technological development and new media in recent years, the book aims to challenge tradition and inspire new creative directions upon the stage. The book breaks new ground on dramatic and spatial awareness within the tropics of theatre. An essential text for those interested in, or studying, theatrical practice and scenography.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -175) and index.
Table of contents provided by Syndetics
- List of Illustrations
- Introduction: The Potentials of Spaces
- Part I Different Beginnings
- 1 Directors and Designers: Is there a different direction?
- 2 Different Directions: The potentials of autobiographical space
- 3 Collaborative Explorations: Reformulating the boundaries of scenographic practice
- 4 Flatness and Depth: Reflections
- Part II Performance Potentials
- 5 Digital Dreams: Sleep Deprivation Chamber
- 6 Re-Designing the Human: motion capture and performance potentials
- 7 Smart Laboratories: New media
- 8 A Place to Play: Experimentation and Interactions Between Technology and Performance
- Part III Aesthetic Visions
- 9 Scenographic avant-gardes: Artistic Partnerships in Canada
- 10 Codes and Overloads: The Scenography of Richard Foreman
- 11 Spatial Practices: The Wooster Group's Rhode Island Trilogy
- 12 Physicality and Virtuality: Memory, Space and Actor on the Mediated Stage
- Selected Bibliography
- Biographies of Authors Index